The Longfellow Club, Wayland
May 24th-27th, 2013
(Memorial Day weekend)
Friday 5/24 5-8pm, Saturday 5/25, Sunday 5/26th
& Monday 5/27 9am-5pm
Cost: Longfellow members $350 non-members $400
1. Swim 300 yards continuously using front crawl and breastroke
2. Retrieve a brick in 7 feet of water and swim with it 20 yards and exit the water
3. Minimum age 15 by May 27th, 2013
For more information call 508-358-7355 x 238 or e-mail
If you are playing outside this week for Spring League, please remember to hit your lobs higher and deeper!
With no roof above you, make your lobs more effective by opening your racquet face more and stroking longer to get them higher and deeper. Good Luck in all your matches this week!
LIFEGUARD RECERTIFICATION COURSE
The Longfellow Club, Wayland
May 31st & June 1st
(5/31 5-9pm & 6/1 10am-DONE)
Cost: $150, with Longfellow member discount $125
You must have verification of current lifeguard certification and be able to pass all Red Cross requirements.
For more information call 508-358-7355 x 238 or email email@example.com
Did you know that potassium could be one of the “hidden guardians” to protect the bones? The American diet tends to include more acidic foods such as meat. The body could potentially “rob” calcium from the bones to neutralize these acids. Eating a wide variety of fruits and vegetables that are high in potassium & magnesium (also good for neutralizing acids) could help to keep the calcium in the bones.
It always seems to come down to “the rule” that never changes: Eat more fruit and vegetables!!! Enjoy 2-3 fruits and 5-8 servings of vegetables every day.
There are two easy things can be done to increase vegetables:
1. Include a vegetable at breakfast.
2. Eat more of the vegetables you like the most.
Make it a spring challenge and let us know how you do!
Source: Potassium, The Hidden Bone Guardian, Susan Brown, PHD
Thank you to all who played in the Wayland Spring Doubles Extravaganza to benefit OneFund Boston!
LONGFELLOW WAYLAND SUMMER SWIM TEAM
June 24, 2013 to CHAMPIONSHIPS
This is a recreational swim team for swimmers age 5 and up who can swim at least one length of the pool.
Practices are help Monday through Thursday 9:00-9:55am in Wayland, with additional practices Monday and Wednesday nights 7:00-8:00pm for those swimmers who are unable to make the morning practices.
The season is 6 weeks long and culminates in a championship meet for which everyone is eligible.
The regular meets are weekday afternoons and are held locally.
Team suit, cap, and t-shirts are provided.
Family members (Including Summer Family Members)
$240/first swimmer $210/each additional swimmer
$440/first swimmer $410/each additional swimmer
Any questions? Contact Longfellowswim@gmail.com
It’s a fun way to celebrate spring AND to appreciate hard-working moms. Below are 10 healthy ideas for a wonderful day:
* Walk through the Arnold Arboretum and enjoy Lilac Sunday.
* Dip pineapples and strawberries into melted dark chocolate.
* Clean off the grill and cook up a delicious fish dinner with grilled vegetables.
* Break out the gardening tools and enjoy the outdoors while preparing to plant your favorite vegetables.
* Cook a whole turkey or chicken on Saturday so it’s ready for a Sunday meal-less work on Mother’s Day.
* Give Mom some extra time to take the class she has “always wanted to try” but never has time for.
* Try a vegetarian restaurant. Most likely, they won’t have a long line or wait.
* Start the day at Longfellow and same time for the hot tub or steam room at the end.
* If possible, WALK or bike ride to a nearby ice cream shop and enjoy a sensible sized treat.
* Take your family (or friends) to a new bike path. One favorite is the Cape Cod Canal. It’s a perfect family ride! If you’re looking for a local ride, try the Charles River. It’s easy access in Waltham, Newton or Watertown.
In WAYLAND we have just started the new Spring Session of TRX and TRX Circuit Classes.
What is TRX, you ask? Come and give it a try!
Please pre-register at the Front Desk in Wayland.
TRX Class Schedule
Tuesdays at Noon with Monique
Wednesdays at 8:30am with Monique
Thursdays at 10am with Monique
Thursdays at Noon with Monique
TRX Circuit Class Schedule
Mondays at 4:30pm with Teresa
Fridays at 10:05am with Teresa
Any questions? Email Monique at firstname.lastname@example.org or Teresa at Tnewtonmoineau@gmail.com
Mark your calendars!
The Longfellow Club is holding a week of special events. Come and Join the Longfellow Pros in supporting those affected by the Boston Marathon Bombings.
Monday, May 13th - Spring Doubles Extravaganza
9am – 11 am or 11am – 1pm $35 donation per player
Friday, May 17th - Pro/Am
7pm- 10 pm $35 donation per player
Saturday, May 18th - Foam Ball Family Fun Day!
5pm – 7:30pm $50 donation per family
ALL the above events will be held at The Longfellow Club in Wayland
All donations will go to the One Fund Boston.
Sign up at The Front Desk in Wayland!
For more information contact Janet Khaemba at 508-358-7355, or JanetKhmb@yahoo.com