Sustainable Business Network
Sustainability and Longfellow
Longfellow has developed a justifiable reputation as the greenest health club in the United States. Longfellow founder, Laury Hammel, also founded the Sustainable Business Network of Massachusetts (SBN) in 1988 (SBNMass.org). The mission of SBN is to build a strong economy that is local, green, and fair. SBN offers a wide variety of programs that are ably explained on its web site www.SBNMass.org.
SBN manages the Sustainable Business Leader Program (SBLP) that supports local businesses in becoming more environmentally sustainable and reducing their carbon footprint. Longfellow was the first graduate of the SBLP that has grown to include over 100 certified local businesses.
As a pioneer in several sustainable business practices, Longfellow has made the following changes:
- Installed New England’s largest solar hot water system at The Longfellow Club in Wayland
- Installed a co-generation unit that heats the swimming pool and showers with the heat generated by burning natural gas and creating electricity at the Longfellow Sports Club in Natick
- Replaced all urinals with waterless urinals that have eliminated over 80% of all flushes in the men’s room and has saved over 45,000 gallons of water per urinal per year
- Replaced all shower 3.5-4 gallons per minute shower heads with 2 gallons per minute shower heads saving hundreds of thousands of gallons of water every year
- Replaced all tube florescent lights with the more energy-efficient T-8 lights
- Replaced 1000 watt metal halite halide lights on the tennis courts with 500 – 700 watt induction florescent bulbs that increase the quality and brightness of the light and reduces the wattage by 40%
- Installed a state of the art salt water purification system in our swimming pools offering a safer and more pleasant swimming experience
- Instituted a comprehensive recycling system throughout all the Longfellow Clubs
- Replaced harsh chemical cleaners used for maintenance with effective non-toxic natural soaps and disinfectants
- Installed Accelerator hand dryers that saves energy and reduces our use of paper hand towels
- Replaced most of the HVAC units at Wayland with state-of-the-art energy-efficient units and purchased a energy monitoring system